SPOTLIGHT

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Wedding Season

"So your son has a job now, you should start finding a match for him, you know my brother's wife's aunt's sisters daughter is pretty and looking..if you want I can take this further"

It doesn't take time for your "vampish" aunts to plant the seed in your mom's mind and make her realize that now the time is ripe for her dreams of an ideal daughter-in-law to turn into reality. Thus begins the tensions in your parents life to get their son settled. To add more to their worries your friends are getting married soon.
So now it is more like a rat race that you find yourself thrown into."Lalitaji...aapke bete ki shaadi mere bete se pehle kaise."

Hiding in Bush's land keeps you away from meeting the brigade of girls shortlisted by your folks till you set your foot in Swades.
Well I take it back, not if you are a Gujju. With a battalion of them settled overseas, you are bound to receive contacts from your parents of millions of girls in Si-cago (Chicago) and all over to initiate the dating process. There is no escapism.

On another front..news of every Sita, Gita, Mita or every Ram, Shaam and whoever you knew in college is getting married keeps pouring in...and then you hear it is a love marriage. Those geeky nerdy studious beings...always sitting on the front bench who spoke of nothing but exams and assignments apparently have found their match...

The Johars and Chopras of cinema instill in you a faith that someone somewhere is made for you and you will surely find him/her at the appropriate time...

Also recall two quotes on marriages...
"Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed."- Albert Einstein
"Marriage is like pi - natural, irrational, and very important."

Can only leave it to time to reveal..whats in store for thou.

Worth a chuckle...

4 Comments:

  • Hi,

    Well its high time someone terms it a 25-year syndrome.....

    I too am facing the same situation... Mom and Aunts have started their hunt... and running to Bush's land and go into hiding seems to be the only option in my hand......

    By Blogger Arun R, at 10:50 PM  

  • Virdi: LOL @ your cousins reply

    Arun : Yup it is a part of the quarter life crisis, will elaborate on it in my next post

    Vikram: "I think I beat you at this"
    Thank god for that. Hopefully you will also beat me in the race to the wedding altar. LOL

    By Blogger Parth Anand, at 5:56 PM  

  • I got my first proposal when I was three. Well, one of my cousins (18 yrs older than me) used to frequent our place and hence the girl's father thought that he was my father's only son (which I was, of course). I was teased abt it for years.

    By Blogger Raj, at 10:22 PM  

  • LOL about Si-cago!!
    This si the very problem I am going through. My uncles and aunts are in a graeter hurry than my parents are in to see me married!!

    By Blogger Kroopa Shah (Kr00pz), at 6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home