SPOTLIGHT

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Ticket checks


Of the three movies that released this weekend, checked out Garam Masala (Hot Spice).
If you thought that Akshay Kumar, Paresh Rawal and Priyadarshan would recreate the same magic like Hera Pheri, then this is no way close to that. The movie was strictly moderate. No story but it has a fair share of comic moments and jokes that keep your funny bone tickled. The three bimbettes only add to the face value of the package, but when it comes to acting, they better keep their mouth shut. Rimi Sen doesnt have much to do. On the whole, it was a simply time pass and you come out of the hall humming "Ada" and "Dil Samundar".

While on movies, one incident is worth mentioning. It happened way back in 1999 but it was a lesson to remember. Whenever there is a big movie lined up for release, there is a huge craze and everyone wants to be the first ones to watch it. There are serpentine queues at the ticket window when plans open. Here in US, I have seen the rush for tickets when Star Wars III released but in India it happens for every other movie.

When Taal was to hit the screens, me and my bunch of friends from college wanted to watch it first day first show on Friday. Lectures and lab practicals did come in the way, so we decided to get hold of tickets for Saturday. I sent my house servant in the wee hours of the morning to be amongst the first ones to wait in the queue and get the tickets. Throughout the week we boasted to everyone else that we were going to watch the movie before they did. On the "D" day on saturday, we reached the movie hall. One of my friends was running late, so we waited for him to show up. We reached our seats to find they were already filled. We claimed that they were our seats and those other guys disagreed and were not ready to budge. We called the usher to resolve this matter. With a torch in one hand, he checked both the tickets and said that we had tickets for yesterday (Friday). It was so embarrasing and to top it all I had to face the brunt from my friends. Oh well, my servant did hear it from me is another story but I learnt my lesson for ever. Such a simple thing of checking the date on tickets cost me dearly, not only did the tickets go waste, I had to buy lunch for my friends to pacify them.
Cut to today, any tickets (movie, plane etc) that I purchase, the first thing my eyes look for is to see if the date is correct.

3 Comments:

  • 2 Lessons to learn
    - If u r really passionate about something do it yourself.
    - What u did learn, double check thing, especially before getting into an argument.

    -thanu

    By Blogger Thanu, at 9:22 AM  

  • @sheela:
    lol..the poor kid patiently listened to my shoutings and finally said he will never go get tickets for me.

    @Thanu:
    Yes agree with the lesson 1. it is always better to do things yourself then rely on someone else.

    By Blogger Parth Anand, at 4:23 PM  

  • Once, few people were siting on our seats and they actually had the day before's tickets but they refused to go out of the theatre. They wanted to be allowed to stand and watch the movie but were finally forced to leave.

    By Blogger Raj, at 9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home