SPOTLIGHT

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Guests at breakfast

The closest I have gone in having a pet.....




Remember the cute scene in which Amrish Puri feeds the pigeons with the now so famous "Aao Aao" in Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge.
Yes! It has been happening since a couple of weeks now. A similar scene takes place on my patio every morning. It started with one and now I have four Pigeons who join me at breakfast.
If you look out from my patio, bunch of pigeons can easily be spotted sitting on the cable wires, on top of the apartment buildings or on my neighbors window sill. They sleep there at night as well and no one disturbs them. If I ever found them sitting on my patio, I would shoo them away simply because of the mess they made with their droppings.
On one usual morning, where I as usual was getting late to work and quickly munching a bowl of cereal, this little creature started chirping in the patio. When you are eating and someone else is eyeing you and hungry, it is but human to offer food. Little did I realize that it would then become a morning ritual.
Sharp at 8, they land on the patio and wait patiently till I get done with my morning chores and prepare my breakfast. I drop them some food and then eat and watch them contently. It gives an immense feeling of satisfaction and peace.

I didn't see them last three days and presumed they would have found someone else to feed them. But I thought wrong, the reason was something else. Can you take a guess??

(Loved your reasoning...Sheela , Thanu and Rays of Sun. Rays of Sun you were partly correct)

As you know, we entered day light saving time zone on Sunday. Thus, in order to get an extra hour of light in the morning, we fall back (roll back) our watches by 1 hour. So the poor pigeons would come at 7, wait for food and then be disappointed and fly away. This morning I beat my alarm for a change, and woke up pretty early to find my breakfast companions waiting for me.
So now from tomorrow either I will have to get up early to feed them or the pigeons have to adapt their body cycle to the new time change.....
I think it is going to be the former :)

7 Comments:

  • @sheela: haha...no thats not the reason
    ..no i didnt over feed them...sometimes though I feel I should leave more for them for later...

    By Blogger Parth Anand, at 4:09 PM  

  • Too cold for the pigeons to venture out this early.

    -thanu

    By Blogger Thanu, at 4:34 PM  

  • Hmm.Interesting n sweet:)
    Loved the post..
    Reason, could well be...That they wanted you to miss them:p..or maybe they are hiding somewhere..in your home maybe:???
    or maybe they have changed the time..and instead of 8:00 they come at a later time??

    By Blogger Rays Of Sun, at 4:58 PM  

  • Awww..That is so sweet:) I think that is a noble cause, to feed the pigeons..I wish I get a reason to get up..I hope its the sparrows..I love their chirping..Must say that..this post was heart warming:)

    By Blogger Rays Of Sun, at 10:59 PM  

  • I'll start a money pool. I think parth waking up early will last for 3-4 days then back to normal. I put 5 bucks. Any takers?

    By Blogger Thanu, at 11:22 PM  

  • A noble deed indeed....

    BTW, just like in DDLJ, do you say "Aao.. Aao"??? ;) ;)

    By Blogger Arun R, at 2:05 AM  

  • @ROS: thanks...I remember back in India during summer, i could hear the koels melodiously chirping in the morning..it truly is heart warming....hope you get your sparrow guests...

    @thanu: hahah....money pool...ya i know it is too difficult for me to get up early in the morning...but nevertheless i try, after a few days the pigeons would adapt to the new time change :)

    @sheela: gosh! please roll back your watches..or one of these days you will reach a place 1 hour before time and then you will realize and repent :) This is experience talking ;)

    @arun: Lol..its no more just "Aao Aao" in my sleepy zombie state..its more like "Kal se thoda late aao"

    By Blogger Parth Anand, at 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home