SPOTLIGHT

Monday, November 07, 2005

Lies, Lies and More Lies

What is this life,
if it is only full of lies?


It makes me ponder and wonder that lying is becoming so much a part and parcel of one's life that the truth seems to have gone several layers deep into oblivion. Its either the truth is too bitter to handle or you fear being misunderstood.

1. You *have to* lie to your parents who are seven seas away that you are eating properly and are fit and fine
(When infact you have a terrible headache, surviving on noodles and salads...)
You don't want them to get worried unneccesary.

2. You have a project report due, an assignment to submit in a few days, when your boss/professor questions on its progress
You confidently say it is coming along well.
Why can't we simply say I havent yet started work on it...
You fear it might affect your progress report, he will think you are too lazy and insincere.

3. You are selling your car and boldly advertise it as running in top condition, well maintained.
Why do we have to hide that the brake pads are a little loose, oil changes havent been taken care of periodically.
But we need to get back the high price we had paid to buy it.

4. You are sitting in a social circle where everyone is boasting about how well they are doing. Everyone else seems to be claiming that there life is all rosy and cosy. Do you then talk about the thorns in your life. Heck no! Its a matter of social esteem.

5. You enter chat rooms or browse the matrimonial ads- Everyone says they are fair and beautiful/handsome.
If that were the case why are the fair and lovely cream makers doing so well in their business?
Or probably I get it now...people are always refering to their inner beauty.

6. Talk about the monday morning syndrome, where on being asked "how was your weekend", you *have to* reply back as "Great" very well knowing the fact the person actually doesnt care to know that you didnt have a good one and then *forcibly ask* "How was yours", even when you yourself are not interested in the answer. Also in other cases as described by ROS here, you *have to* answer you are doing fine, when you actually are feeling miserable.
Cause simply people don't care.

What ever the reasons may be to justify your doing, but the truth is you lie. You lie to keep others happy, you lie to keep yourself in good books of others.

If so is the case, is there any room left anywhere for truth?

7 Comments:

  • Sad, but true. Lying is a horrible disease! I know I do it... and I hate that I do.

    I'm trying to instill to my students that lying is bad. What's horrible was when one little girl told me her mom told her to lie to me! We are teaching out kids to lie!

    By Blogger Abigail S., at 4:33 PM  

  • Hey Parth!
    Si you had already talked about monday morning blues, eh!Sorry, caught me unawares:)
    But // You have a project report due, an assignment to submit in a few days, when your boss/professor questions on its progress
    You confidently say it is coming along well//

    So true..I thought you were talking about me here:)))))

    By Blogger Rays Of Sun, at 4:56 PM  

  • It all boils down to the sense of security or that u r in a safe position. If by lying I feel secure, I lie.

    It takes guts to come out with the truth and face the consequences. I have faced it several times with my parents.

    It also depends on ur ethics and principles that u believe in or live by.

    By Blogger Arun R, at 8:18 PM  

  • "Or probably I get it now...people are always refering to their inner beauty."

    loved that part..

    About the truth.. hmm, I think it is a relative term.

    By Blogger N David, at 8:44 PM  

  • Very true.

    The social norms actually force us to lie.

    By Blogger Raj, at 9:10 PM  

  • Gosh I can so identify with the first one in your list! :O

    By Blogger Sayesha, at 7:18 AM  

  • Slim, Fair and beautiful - that is what one sees in every matrimonial ad. Fairness is very overated in our country. I know so many people who consider so and so is pretty because she is so fair. I also know guys who think they are handsome b/c htey have a fair skin. I think beauty has more to do than skin color. Even when we look at Hindi movie actressess, Bipasha basu is the only one who is not fair.

    -thanu

    By Blogger Thanu, at 10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home