SPOTLIGHT

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Of First Paycheck and Smart Cards

Jaggu wanted me to write how I spent my first pay check

One thing that I really like about America is how parents teach their kids to be independent. The kids at a young age, are encouraged to work part time and take care of their little expenses. It is a little different and easier in India, where children are taken care off till they graduate and stand on their own feet. So I never worked in India. The only reason I came to Sam's land was to be independent, carve a niche for myself and to do my family proud.

Being the bollywood buff that I am, I had seen in the movies, how the main lead decides to take on the world, struggles to find a job and then gets his first salary and buys presents for his near and dear ones.
The whole family then rejoices and celebrates. I would then say to myself, that one day I so very much want to do the same.
My first jobs were at the food court and tutoring and they paid enough to take care of living expenses (rent and food). Its in the second semester of my Masters degree that I got scholarship from the university and worked as a programmer for an organization on campus. I claim that as my first job on my resume. When I got my first paycheck, I sincerely wired all of it to my folks back home. Pampered myself with a digicam and bought lunch for my friends with the next one.

You know how girls love mushy cards with poems and phrases written inside, found these funny ideas for cards that will take you aback



  • I always wanted to have someone to hold, someone to love. After meeting you....
    (on the inside)
    I changed my mind!!!


  • I must admit, you brought religion into my life...
    (on the inside)
    I never believed in hell until I met you !!


  • As the days go by, I think how lucky I am....
    (on the inside)
    That you are not around to ruin it for me


  • Someday I hope to marry....
    (on the inside)
    Someone other than you.


  • We have been friends for a long time..
    (on the inside)
    What do you say we stop?


  • When we were together you said you would die for me...
    (on the inside)
    Now we've broken up, I think it is time to keep your promise


  • I am so miserable without you
    (on the inside)
    It's almost like you are still here


  • Looking back o'er the years, We've been together, I can't help wonder..
    (on the inside)
    What was I thinking?


  • You are such a good friend. If we were on a sinking ship and there was only one life jacket...
    (on the inside)
    I'd miss you terribly and think of you often

Cheers!!!

7 Comments:

  • //I'd miss you terribly and think of you often

    The last one is funny. Why did u combine 2 posts. After readin how u spent ur paycheck I was like huh? (I'm kinda slow)

    -thanu

    By Blogger Thanu, at 3:53 PM  

  • "What was I thinking?"

    Interesting ! :-)

    By Blogger Jay, at 7:14 PM  

  • :)

    Now I just hope my dad just does not follow the link in to this post & finds all this.This will show me in bad light.:P.. I wanna wanna work in a food court.. ok a vegan food court!cheers!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:15 AM  

  • mail foward?

    By Blogger adarsh, at 4:47 AM  

  • Yeah!its a mail forward..even I received it some time back;)

    By Blogger Rays Of Sun, at 8:20 AM  

  • @ Sheela
    //I was a little awful that i gave my first paycheck to Mom and later asked for more from her wallet. awful awful!
    Lol...I remember when I was young, my folks would ask if I needed some money..I would refuse and say I had, but the next day itself I found myself running to them for more..awful!!

    //you were making good amount frm tutoring in unv.huh?

    well tutoring and food court combined helped me take care of living expenses..
    off context but are you a strict as a TA??

    @thanu
    //After readin how u spent ur paycheck I was like huh? (I'm kinda slow)

    Arrey nahin...no relation..aisa hi I was going to post on those cards and then jaggu ka tag yaad aya so combined them...am sorry

    @jay:
    Thanks for visiting...see you around

    @jaggu:
    // I wanna wanna work in a food court
    lol..trust me..after a few initial days of fun..you will never ever again wanna work in a food court..hehe

    @rinku
    //mere ko total co-relation smajh nahee aayaa paycheck and cards ka :( mai sad :(

    sorry..it was my bad...no co-relation...i should have been more clear...dont be sad...smile now :)

    @adarsh and ROS: yeah mail forward..found it amusing..so posting...

    By Blogger Parth Anand, at 11:35 AM  

  • Good ones......

    By Blogger Arun R, at 8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home