SPOTLIGHT

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Remembering you

There are some people who walk into your life, touch you, care for you and you want them to stay. *Be friends for ever*. But what if, they are looking for something more?

"S" was just a collegue in my undergraduate college. We both were in different majors and so the interaction in those days was no more than "hi" and "hello". She was one of my friend's girl friend's best friend. After graduation, she got a job in Bombay and I came to do my masters in US. There was a tragedy in her life and I emailed her my condolences. Little did I know that the email would bring us closer.
We began exchanging emails daily. We would talk about our schedules, work and little things going on in our lives. It was more of getting to know each other. I had made a new friend in her. We had common interests and I would look forward to her replies to my email.
She got an opportunity to come to US on a company project. She was excited about it and grabbed it. The written conversations were now replaced by talking on the phone. She hardly knew any one in this country so I would try to make myself available for her whenever she felt lonely.

Like in all friendships, we would have our share of arguements too. She was someone who would get upset easily over trivial issues. Bang the phone down and then I would have to coax her and pacify here. It started to irritate me when this started happening way too often, but then I would let it go, considering the loneliness and being all by herself was taking its toll on her.

I got a job on the west coast. The three hour time difference now made it more difficult to communicate with her on a daily basis. I would have just gotten back home from work/gym and it would almost be her bed time. I couldn't simply put other things on a hold, and devote time to talk to her. I would try to make her understand that she was calling me up when she was free, done with her chores and had time on hand, but I wasn't free then. I would often encourage her to mix with collegues in office, make new friends out there and so she wouldnt feel alone.

During one such regular conversation, where I was trying to cheer her up and ask her to invite some collegues home, so she would get to know them better. She curtly shot back that why I was always trying to push her away from me. Thats when it struck me that she was expecting something more than friendship from me. But from myside, I had could only see her a friend, someone who I cared for. I never saw myself taking it to the next level with her.

But my carings for her, my words, the comfort level she felt talking to me made her wish for something more. I couldnt not give her that at this time and neither did I want her to live in hopes that it could happen in the future. What if it didn't.

It was her decision that we better stop talking to each other then as it would only make her wish for more. I was clear in my stand that if she ever needed a friend, I would be a phone call away.
Its been 5 months since we spoke. I remember her when I see the red tshirt she gave me in the wadrobe, I think of her when I see her name in the phone book. At times, I want to know if she is doing fine. But it was her decision that we don't stay in touch.
Its her birthday today I can only wish her happy returns in my mind.

Is it so simple to simply remove someone from your thoughts....from your life?

15 Comments:

  • That sucks... But you know what they say- girls and guys can't be friends cuz sex always gets in the way. (I think that's from some movie).

    By Blogger Abigail S., at 8:05 PM  

  • Well, it is sad when you lose a good friend bcos of something like this but the first part is that you can't just go back to being a friend again so i think you guys did the right thing by stopping to talk to each other. Otherwise, it gets too awkward.

    By Blogger Raj, at 8:40 PM  

  • Sorry to hear about that. It's sad the way some very precious relationships can come to such a pass. Different expectations can sometimes cause differences that are not easily overlooked..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:44 PM  

  • No Parth!

    You can never erase someone completely from your mind. Speccially, coz you guys have been so regular and so close through your emails n phones. I agree, sometimes two people have different expectations out of a relationship. One wants something else and other is probaly not thinking anything beyond friendship.
    Unless you have a deeper understanding, such friendships kinda leave a cold sore behind.
    You always give people what they want..like in her case, she wanted to put an end to it. So be it..

    and memories are what you make of them!
    Send her a holler..doesn't hurt. She can choose not to reply:)

    By Blogger Rays Of Sun, at 9:19 PM  

  • :)

    Mate..You should have called to wish her on her B'day...My call.Get a Load of this..I call someone religiously on her birthdays even 8 years after I overheard her telling her friend that I would make a good scarecrow ;).Cheers!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:31 PM  

  • Jaguu!!

    Wowo!! thats the spirit...

    By Blogger Rays Of Sun, at 11:33 PM  

  • Hmmm.....
    These things can be pretty complicated at times. But then there's nothing stoping u from calling her or sending her a card to show her that u still think of her as a friend and value her friendship.

    But then, I know how tricky it is to get a girl out of her decision. At the end of the day, its your call.

    "My friend's girl-friend's best friend" --> Some similarity in my life too!!!!

    By Blogger Arun R, at 12:54 AM  

  • Forgot about Is it so simple to simply remove someone from your thoughts....from your life?

    The closer the person is to your heart, the more difficult it is for you to forget him/her.

    By Blogger Arun R, at 2:57 AM  

  • I only want to answer your questions and the amswer is- Hell no!!
    I am currently in a similar situation. The only problem I see this person everyday so its hard to push him away

    By Blogger Kroopa Shah (Kr00pz), at 8:13 AM  

  • well call her... call her damn it... she is waiting for your call believe me... she is waiting to hear your voice...

    you know what is our biggest problem??? E-G-O... to hell with the bloody EGO and give her a call...

    what if she wants your time more now?? can't you give her more time now?? what i feel is she thinks you to be not just a friend in her 1000 other friends but more than that... isn't it an honour?? and running away from responcibity is not smartness but stupidity and act of a loser... come on Parth call her... believe me she will be very happy when you give her a call...

    if she bangs the phone down, bang the phone on my head... :-)

    By Blogger virdi, at 11:26 AM  

  • I am in a similar situation with a friend. He is a very emotional person. Everytime we talk, he gets emotional. He wanted "time and space" in order to get me out of his mind. So we had to stop talking. I so badly want to have him in my life as a great friend but what can I do? I do drop him a mail or give him a call now and then, to let him know I am thinking about him. I sometimes wonder what's the use of "space" when you ultimately come back to where you started from when you hear the person's voice. That is what happens everytime with him. I told him that whenever he feels ready, he should come back and I will be waiting. Who knows when that time will come...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:46 PM  

  • Actually, I think you shouldn't call her. If I said that to a guy, I wouldn't want him to call. But when I was ready, I'd call him. I know it's hard... But calling her when she isn't ready may just make things worse. Sorry!

    By Blogger Abigail S., at 8:59 PM  

  • i think, like you said, it was just so hard for her b/c she was so lonely. and she thought you were the only one that could understand her.
    she MUST be missing you. give it time; hopefully she will call you again.

    ~and, abby, i dont think i agree with you. IF I SAID THAT TO A GUY, i'd be meaning: "if you really care, you'd call me anyway." girls are complicated.
    but, as you can see from the difference between my TWIN sister and me, who really knows what her meaning was.

    By Blogger Becky L, at 5:30 AM  

  • Wow, so cool....you both are TWINS :-)

    I agree girls can have complex, contradictory thoughts and feelings. And that is because they think from so many different angles :-)

    I think your friend might appreciate a call, even if she might feel she is not ready. I think.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:41 PM  

  • @abigail:
    //girls and guys can't be friends cuz sex always gets in the way

    I never wanted to belive in this...always felt it could happen..a guy and girl could be great friends just like two guys but yes, somewhere deep inside I have started to think along those lines.

    @raj:
    It was her call...she said she wanted space..I simply complied.

    @harshi:
    //Different expectations can sometimes cause differences that are not easily overlooked..
    Ya but what I fail to understand if all the caring and sharing from her, were all there cause she thought of me as something more...the ground of frienship itself was so shaky...

    @rinku:
    //have a not so close frienship
    well her answer was...if she continues talking...she will keep expecting something more from me, which she wont get and will be hurt...so she chose not to talk anymore...
    @ROS:
    //such friendships kinda leave a cold sore behind.

    true....it has left a sore behind..i think of her..but at times I am really upset and angry cause after our frienship..she felt she will be happy if she got more from me...but if I couldnt reciprocate..why break away the "frienship" is something i am not able to understand...

    @jaguu:
    lol at the scarecrow...
    am sure she would have said that jokingly...

    @arun:
    Yes it is too complicated...I decided not to think much about it..told her to choose what would be best for her..she said it would be better if we stopped talking...


    @kroopa:
    i understand your plight...seeing someone everyday makes it more difficult to push out..

    @virdi
    nahi yaar it is not about EGO...i would have called...it is all that i really dont want to get in a relationship with her...i never saw her that way...for me she was a nice close friend..but she wants more and if not..wants the space...
    so i let her have the space.

    @vikram:
    //Ah! women, they are so predictable
    lol...the men give them the dose by being unpredictable..

    @sheela:
    hey sheela..good to see you are back..hope you are doing good...

    @abigail:
    //Actually, I think you shouldn't call her.I wouldn't want him to call. But when I was ready, I'd call him.

    yeah i agree with this...thats how I saw the situation.


    @becky:
    //hopefully she will call you again.
    thats what I told her...if she ever needs a friend..i am just a phone call away.

    //girls are complicated.

    just like harshi said...tough to understand how differently they see things..

    By Blogger Parth Anand, at 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home