SPOTLIGHT

Friday, November 11, 2005

Playing hide and seek with boss

Firstly heart felt thanks to everyone for their wishes and guidance. Per your advise I have decided to convey the news to him personally.

So wednesday night I wrote a formal resignation letter and pepped myself to approach him the first thing on Thursday morning.
But the game of hide and seek was apparently in store. I reached office to find out that he has still not returned from his trip. No one in office knew if he would be in later though. So I wrote him an email asking some work related stuff and also in the last line politely enquired if he would be in. He didnt reply to the email until late Thursday saying that he had flight delays and would be in on Friday. Thus the task got postponed by one more day. In the meantime, I purchased some boxes and have started the difficult task of packing. Hopefully, I can get done most of it this weekend.

Whenever my manager is back from travel, the next day he comes to office early so that he can catch up with everything (email etc). I thought it would be the perfect, to reach office early, before most of them got in. Couldnt sleep much last night, as I had too much stuff going on at the back of my mind and then getting up early is an added worry too. Reached office at 7:30, only to find my manager on some conference call on the east coast. Waited anxiously till he got done. Next thing I notice he is chatting with some collegue something non work related. After which he walks into my cubicle and catches me unawares. I was reading some news, he hands me a list of work to be done for the next couple of weeks and says we will go over it shortly. I was left speechless.
Thought maybe, when he sits with me to discuss the tasks to be done, I would tell him. He got into a meeting with another collegue and that went on forever. This meant I would be able to meet him only after lunch.
I ran after him, as he was walking out to go for lunch to confirm our meeting and he said "Have a lunch appointment now, talk to you later in the afternoon!"

And here I sit with a heavy heart waiting to blurt out "I quit!"

8 Comments:

  • Oh Man! I can understand your plight, Parth!:(

    Ok! why dont you run get a Thank you card and a Box of chocolates and write all senti stuff, u can think of..
    Good luck, dost:)(* A Thumbs Up)

    By Blogger Rays Of Sun, at 2:55 PM  

  • OMG, u still haven't said. When is ur last day? Hopefully not Monday.

    -thanu

    By Blogger Thanu, at 5:33 PM  

  • Or play the song "I QUIT" really loudly at your desk till someone asks! :D

    By Blogger Sayesha, at 6:30 PM  

  • Tough place to be in... but I am sure you will come through just fine

    By Blogger N David, at 7:05 PM  

  • That really is a horrible feeling to have! I hope you don't have to wait too long before telling him!

    By Blogger Abigail S., at 8:14 PM  

  • Wow......I am speechless too. It's so hard to be in limbo. I am sorry :-( Hope you get this over with soon. Did you both get to have a one-on-one friday afternoon? Well the meeting's bound to happen soon if it hasn't already. Wish you The Best.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:57 AM  

  • So what's the current status?
    I hope you have managed to talk to him by now.

    By Blogger Raj, at 8:55 PM  

  • @ROS:
    Thanks for the idea
    picked up a card today, will give it with a box of choclates on my last day here

    @Thanu:
    hehe..last day is this friday...

    @sayesha:
    playing music is a strict no-no at work, so before the "I quit" song would even end, my boss would barge in singing "you are fired!!"
    Either ways, it would work for me :P

    @KD:
    Luckily, it did go fine :)

    @vikram:
    haha...i was biting my nails man...i was so damn tensed..but it did thankfully, go well in the end.

    @abigail:
    It took me the whole day, I had what I wanted to say at the tip of my tongue, but he was always busy

    @harshi:
    Thanks for your wishes. Luckily it went well. I would have literally died if I had to live with it (in limbo) over the weekend

    By Blogger Parth Anand, at 10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home