SPOTLIGHT

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Weird Am I?

You know how it feels when you crave for a particular thing, day and night you think about it, you want it so bad. When it finally falls in your lap, you are grateful, your joys know no bounds. Right then a realization strikes, a truth dawns on you of the additional baggage, the thing you wanted has brought along with it.

You all know, I was sending out my resume, looking for other opportunities. There were days where I so very much wanted to leave my current job. Yesterday I got a offer from one of the companies I interviewed with and I accepted it. Yippie!! I am definitely grateful and happy. The position offers more learning opportunity than my current job and I am no doubt excited.
But then hours after the truth sank in.

• I will now have to inform my manager and other collegues at my current job
I don't know how they are going to take it? Will they feel stabbed in the back? Will they feel cheated? They had surely invested in me to start with, relocation expenses, visa fees etc, but then I gave it my all, worked and fulfilled my responsibilities. Now I am clueless how to initiate a conversation with my manager and how to tell him that I am quitting? He is on travel today and will be in office tomorrow morning. Should it be via email or in person? Someone please guide me on this.

• Pack up everything at home
When I first relocated here, I had to bring all my stuff in 2 big bags and 5 boxes but then I didn't have any furniture with me. The very thought of packing everything seems like a herculean task and when you know that you will be unpacking it again soon, you so very much don't feel like doing it.

• Find a new apartment
It is never to easy to find an apartment that meets your needs, is close to your workplace and the rent fits your budget. And then settling in your new place. Changing addresses with banks, credit cards, insurance

• Wind up my current projects, clear my desk, my work machine
Now the projects that I have been slogging day in and out, they are literally like my babies, the code, the applications. I don't feel like leaving them without knowing how they are going to perform, if they were successful. I will have to clear all the files, the books and every little thing on my desk.

• Fear of the new
Then there is the apprehension of the new. How the new work enviornment is going to be. How are the people around going to treat me.

• India Trip
Would no longer be able to do my one month planned trip in December. It will be one year since I last visited. Would have to postpone it for 2006.

• Time Factor
To top it all, all this has to be tackled within a week and I don't know where to start at.

There is so much to deal with, so much to rush and do, its too much stress.
But then probably I have faced all of it before when I moved in here and so this time too I am gearing myself up for the challenge.

13 Comments:

  • Parth!
    Me first! Wiat until I read the whole thing!

    By Blogger Rays Of Sun, at 11:58 AM  

  • Parth,
    Been there done that. You got to do what you got to do, U know..Finally, everything falls back in place. No employer cares if you leave, he knows he will find someone eventually. Starting afresh is always going to be hard, be receptive towards changes and you will have a fun time.

    Congrats on your new job:) So where is the treat;) I hope its the Pani puri at Elko Market ya fir Raj Kachori from Tiwari's at Juhu:))Oohhhhh

    By Blogger Rays Of Sun, at 12:03 PM  

  • Congrats...This is awesome.

    Notice to leave the company I would say should be handed in person to the Manager. A typed letter stating you last day. Thanking the manager for the oppurtunies he/she has provided. (google it- will give u few examples)

    Don't worry about telling ur mgr. They go through this all the time. If ur mgr got a better position he/she wud leave too.

    It will be an emotional day - the last day.

    The new place will have lot of changes and lot of learning. But, u'll do well.

    So r u moving frm California?

    Its not all that different, I changed job few months ago.

    -thanu

    By Blogger Thanu, at 12:19 PM  

  • @ROS:
    Thanks for your wishes
    //Finally, everything falls back in place..
    ya hope it does...taking one step at a time..

    //Pani puri at Elko Market ya fir Raj Kachori from Tiwari's at Juhu

    gosh...muh mein pani aa gaya....subah se pehle aapke blog par then virdi mentioned chai aur pakode aur ab yahan....hehehe

    @Thanu:
    Thanks for your wishes and also for your help about how to tell the manager. I will google to find some resignation letters

    No not moving out of CA..just from one city to another...120 miles...

    By Blogger Parth Anand, at 12:44 PM  

  • U know, when I was transfering from my school at LA, and that HOD was such a BAD GUY. I cried when handing out my resignation to him. He uttered" So what happens to all the money, that I spent on you"? I just replied " I did not come here with the intention of leaving it anytime" I have to grow, for which I have to go!
    Finally, he said "You have been an excellent student, am sorry this program did not meet your needs"

    By Blogger Rays Of Sun, at 12:55 PM  

  • @ROS:
    yeah i think the first thought is always towards the money spent on us....and the investment...
    but then hopefully they realize..that we need to move on and grow....
    thanks for sharing...
    par sach mein...i don't know how he is going to react to my ouster tomorrow...i am so jittery

    By Blogger Parth Anand, at 1:22 PM  

  • Congrats for the offer, and Goodluck with the move! Yeah, one gets so comfortable in one place and just the thought a million changes can be real overwhelming. But it will be a temporary phase. Prepare mentally, and jump in. Once you get going, you wouldn't feel like stopping until you finish. And then all of a sudden, you will find that you have passed that phase and it will seem like a dream, not even real :-)

    I have never resigned so I don't know the protocol, but from what I feel, put yourself in the place of your Boss, and think how you would like things. I feel you should definitely meet in person rather that it being on e-mail. Inform them asap. Be prepared with what you are going to say. And say it as directly as possible. Know your last day. Know the answers to "why" because you will get that a lot. A formal resignation letter that they can document would also be needed I think. It will make your words have more weight and finality. Also leave on a positive, gracious note...talk about how valuable your experience was etc. They will be your newest references. And also, you might have to personally inform everyone who was depending on you for something in your current project. That was my 2 cents...

    You will do great. All the Best!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:07 PM  

  • Congrats on ur job!!!

    Do remember to meet ur boss in person and convey the news to him.

    Packing and moving... its a headache.... but I've experienced it so many times. When I was in school, my dad used to get transferred every 2 years. So I've had so much experience in shifting, now I do not feel any pain in it.

    By Blogger Arun R, at 8:21 PM  

  • Congrats!!

    Don't worry, things will work out fine.
    Moving to a new place and a new job is a little scary but then its all part of the game.
    And i know how difficult it is to get a decent place to live, i've spent countless days hunting for one.
    And yes, you should talk to the manager instead of mailing him.

    Good luck.

    By Blogger Raj, at 9:15 PM  

  • hey man congrats on ur new job.....i hope everything goes just fine.

    By Blogger shitij, at 12:03 AM  

  • :)

    Hey Mate..wish I could come along & give u a hand with the packin & Movin.I am sure You made a wise choice & hey when is da Pardyyyyyyyyyyyy mate??

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:34 PM  

  • @sheela :
    thanks for your wishes...
    good luck on your job hunt...
    see you (virtually) on thursday..take care until then

    @harshi:
    Thanks for stopping by and thanks a lot for your advise. I truly appreciate it. I have prepared a formal resignation letter and yes decided to approach him in person. I have been preparing my self to answer "the questions".
    Thanks once again.
    See you around.

    @arun:
    Thanks..
    Hopefully the packing and moving will go smoothly. Will try to get most of the packing done over this weekend

    @raj:
    Thank you!!
    Will talk to the "boss" today

    @rinku:
    Thanks

    //thode dollers idhar bhee fenko na :)

    Arrey aap wahan pe trading mein itne paise khud kama rahe ho...yeh line to mujhe kehni chaiye thi
    :)

    movers and packing people will charge a lot...though I may have to rent a truck to move all the stuff in one go..

    //twade blog the comment kr ke sanu tussee india miss nahee krne denge :)

    changa jee :) thanks!!

    @shitij:
    Thanks a lot..I hope so too

    @vikram:
    Hopefully I can clear all these obstacles soon. Thanks for the encouraging words.

    By Blogger Parth Anand, at 12:39 PM  

  • @jaggu:
    sorry missed replying to your comment..

    //wish I could come along & give u a hand with the packin & Movin

    thank you for those kind words and thought...

    we will party whenever you visit here...

    By Blogger Parth Anand, at 1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home